Luminary Progress

Screenshot 2016-09-27 15.14.26.png

Last week I ran into issues with my Rhino model. I fudged some of the surfaces and wound up with a model that I couldn’t repair in MeshMixer or Magics.

You can see below how some of the extrusions are facing the wrong way. I didn’t realize this before, but surfaces all have a facing direction in Rhino, and some of my surfaces were facing inwards instead of out. This caused my extruded parts to occupy spaces that were supposed to be removed to accommodate the lightbulb.

In images 4-6, I’m capturing something close to my design intent, but I’m not using the lightbulb model to cut out the inside, rather a cylinder. My intent now is to simplify my Rhino model to be one surface so that it will be possible to map from outer surface to inner surface, letting me break away from the extrude-to-point node.

Screenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.03.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.13.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.18.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.23.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.31.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.35.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.45.pngScreenshot 2016-10-03 14.44.52.png

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s