Luminary Progress 2

Since class on 9/27, I’ve been working with a new light bulb model, that is reduced to one surface. This helped me move beyond the Rhino modeling issues I was getting caught up on, although I ran into some model trouble much later, I was able to fix it by correcting a bad control point manipulation.

With the newest form, I was able to get very close to the Voronoi tesselation concept that I initially proposed, but I need to fix some open objects with MeshMixer.

Rather than dive into MeshMixer, I further explored this new surface concept with square extrusions (rather than triangular). I ran into trouble again with some bad (overcomplicated) meshing. After thinking I was done I realized that all of my STL files needed serious repair.screenshot-2016-10-01-23-08-06screenshot-2016-10-01-23-16-16screenshot-2016-10-01-23-21-35screenshot-2016-10-02-11-46-23screenshot-2016-10-02-13-22-43

So I went back into GH to simplify my algorithms and do some more exploring. After building a simpler meshing flow. I developed a new strategy that would give me a bit more tolerance in my bulb interface. Rather than using a continuous surface to interface with the lightbulb, this concept uses thickened lines. The inner surface still exists, but only to generate extrusion points for the fingers or digits. This concept led me to experiment with some of the LunchBox Structure Nodes. I’m using the hexagonal structure node in these because it allowed a great deal of flexibility in the outer

Rather than using a continuous surface to interface with the lightbulb, this concept uses thickened lines. The inner surface still exists, but only to generate extrusion points for the fingers or digits. This concept led me to experiment with some of the LunchBox Structure Nodes. I’m using the hexagonal structure node in these because it allowed a great deal of flexibility in the outer surface while maintaining the interface with the extruded digits.

screenshot-2016-10-03-08-08-45screenshot-2016-10-03-08-08-49screenshot-2016-10-03-13-04-39screenshot-2016-10-03-13-16-24screenshot-2016-10-03-13-24-34

Here are the final concepts. All are driven by the same surface, offset and then connecting lines between the subdivided surfaces.  The top set uses a LunchBox Hexagonal Structure Node and Pipe to create the outer surface. The lower set uses extruded 4-sided shapes using the logic from the Geometric Truss videos to subdivide an inner and outer surface, that is lofted and thickened with WeaverBird’s Mesh Thicken. These five exported perfectly and are all within the limits for Shapeways White Nylon. Yay!screenshot-2016-10-03-14-29-35screenshot-2016-10-03-14-30-51

And one more of the Voronoi model. It still has some open meshes. Hopefully, I can fix this one in MeshMixer. -AaronSKYrbSVjp2.gif

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s